Prasanna Ananth, MD, MPH
Instructor in Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
Centers/ProgramsPediatric Hematologic Malignancies
Pediatric Solid Tumors
Office phone: 617-632-3270
Preferred contact method: appointment phone
View Physician Profile
Solid tumors, Hematologic malignancies, End-of-life care
Area of Research
Quality and costs of care near the end of life for children with life-threatening, chronic illness
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
- Academic Pediatric Association Award for Best Abstract by a Fellow, 2014
- Pediatric Academic Societies & Mead Johnson Nutrition Travel Award, 2014
ResearchQuality and costs of care near the end of life for children with life-threatening, chronic illness
Under the mentorship of Drs. Joanne Wolfe and Jay Berry, I use national administrative data to examine hospital utilization and costs in the last year of life for children with life-threatening chronic conditions. Our current study, entitled "Hospital utilization and costs in the last year of life for children with life-threatening chronic illness," arose from adult data revealing that the most resource-intensive phase of patient care is near the end of life, when invasive and costly interventions are often used. This may contribute to physical or psychological suffering without necessarily improving clinical outcomes. In contrast, we know very little about pediatric care near the end of life.
In another study, we explore the impact of palliative care involvement on hospital utilization. Palliative care in adults has been shown to counteract the intensity of care near the end of life by improving quality of life, decreasing costs, and even prolonging life expectancy in certain circumstances. We are investigating whether pediatric palliative care has a similar effect.
- Ananth, P., Koopman, C. “HIV/AIDS Knowledge, beliefs and behavior among women of childbearing age in India.” AIDS Education and Prevention, December 2003; Vol 15(6): 529-546.
- Lee, S., Ananth, P., Boyd, T., Esrick, E., Kim, H.B. “Successful Surgical Thrombectomy for Neonatal IVC and Bilateral Renal Vein Thrombosis.” Journal of Pediatric Surgery Case Reports, 2014.
- Bernson-Leung, M., Ananth, P., Shusterman, S. “Neuroblastoma presenting as facial nerve palsy and bulging tympanic membrane.” Clinical Pediatrics, 2014.