Alec Kimmelman, MD, PhD
Lecturer on Radiation Oncology, Part-Time, Harvard Medical School
Office phone: 617-632-5195
Website: The Kimmelman Lab
Preferred contact method: office phone
Area of ResearchPancreatic cancer and other GI tumors
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Harvard Institute of Medicine
4 Blackfan Circle, Suite 221
- House Staff of the Year Award for Excellence in Patient Care, Mount Sinai School of Medicine at Cabrini Medical Center, 2004
- Harold Elster Memorial Prize for Academic Standing, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 2003
ResearchPancreatic cancer and other GI tumors
Work in my laboratory focuses on understanding the pathogenesis of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. In this regard, we utilize genetically engineered mouse models of pancreatic cancer as well as cell culture based systems to study this deadly disease.
One aspect of our research is to explore the response of these highly resistant tumors to chemotherapy and radiation to identify critical molecular pathways that dictate this response.
Additionally, using a novel inducible genetic mouse model of pancreatic cancer, we are studying key genetic events involved in disease maintenance, progression, and metastasis.
Furthermore, we are using our mouse and human models to identify novel therapeutic targets that may sensitize tumor cells to radiation and chemotherapy. Such findings are highly relevant to our understanding of pancreatic cancer and will provide highly needed, new therapeutic approaches.
- Kimmelman AC, Hezel AF, Aguirre AJ, Zheng H, Paik J, Ying H, Chu GC, Zhang JX, Sahin E, Yeo G, Ponugoti A, Nabioullin R, Deroo S, Yang S, Wang X, McGrath JP, Protopopova, Ivanova E, Zhang J, Feng B, Tsao MS, Redston M, Protopopov A, Xiao Y, Futreal PA, Hahn WC, Klimstra DS, Chin L, DePinho RA. Genomic alterations link Rho family of GTPases to the highly invasive phenotype of pancreas cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Dec 9;105(49):19372-7. Epub 2008 Dec 2.
- Zheng H, Ying H, Yan H, Kimmelman AC, Hiller DJ, Chen AJ, Perry SR, Tonon G, Chu GC, Ding Z, Stommel JM, Dunn KL, Wiedemeyer R, You MJ, Brennan C, Wang YA, Ligon KL, Wong WH, Chin L, DePinho RA. p53 and Pten control neural and glioma stem/progenitor cell renewal and differentiation. Nature. 2008 Oct 23;455(7216):1129-33.
- Martin ES, Tonon G, Sinha R, Xiao Y, Feng B, Kimmelman AC, Protopopov A, Ivanova E, Brennan C, Montgomery K, Kucherlapati R, Bailey G, Redston M, Chin L, DePinho RA. Common and distinct genomic events in sporadic colorectal cancer and diverse cancer types. Cancer Res. 2007; 67:10736-43.
- Chu, GC, Kimmelman, AC, Hezel, AF, DePinho, RA. Stromal Biology of Pancreatic Cancer. J. Cell. Biochem. 2007; 101:887-907.
- Stommel, JM, Kimmelman AC, Ying H, Nabioullin R, Ponugoti AH, Wiedemeyer R, Stegh AH, Bradner JE, Ligon KL, Brennan C, Chin L, DePinho RA. Co-activation of Receptor Tyrosine Kinases affects response to targeted therapies. Science. 2007; 318:287-290.
- Hezel AF (equal contributors) Kimmelman AC, Stanger BZ, Bardeesy N, Depinho RA. Genetics and biology of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Genes Dev. 2006; 20:1218-1249.
- Kimmelman AC, Fang R, Sanfiz A, Narla G, Li D, Liang BC, Martignetti JA, Friedman SL, Chan AML. Suppression of Glioblastoma Tumorigenicity by the Kruppel-like Transcription factor, KLF6. Oncogene. 2004; 23:5077-83.
- Kimmelman AC, Rodriguez NN, Chan AML. R-Ras3/M-Ras induces Neuronal Differentiation of PC12 cells through a Cell-Type-Specific Activation of the Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase Cascade. Mol. Cell. Biol. 2002; 22: 5946-61.
- Narla G, Heath KE, Reeves HL, Li D, Giono LE, Kimmelman AC, Glucksman MJ, Narla J, Eng FJ, Chan AM, Ferrari AC, Martignetti JA, Friedman SL. KLF6, a candidate tumor suppressor gene mutated in prostate cancer. Science 2001; 294:2563-66.
- Kimmelman A, Tolkacheva T, Lorenzi M, Osada M, Chan AM. Identification and characterization of R-ras3: a novel member of the RAS gene family with a non-ubiquitous pattern of tissue expression. Oncogene 1997; 15: 2675-85.
- Yang, Shenghong, PhD
- Xiaoxu, Wang
- Li, Yinghua, PhD