Ursula A. Matulonis, MD
Medical Director, Gynecologic Oncology
Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Office phone: 617-632-2334
Preferred contact method: office phone
View Physician Profile
Gynecologic malignancies, New therapies for gynecologic cancers
Area of ResearchClinical Trials in Gynecologic Malignancies
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
Ursula A. Matulonis, MD is Medical Director and Program Leader of the Medical Gynecologic Oncology Program at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School. Her research focuses on targeted therapies for gynecologic malignancies, with a specific interest in the genetic changes in ovarian cancer and how that can lead to rationale targeted drug selection. Dr. Matulonis is the Principal Investigator of several clinical trials and translational studies for ovarian cancer. Dr. Matulonis is a Co-PI on an ovarian cancer SPORE project entitled “Identification of Oncogenic Mutations in Ovarian Cancer,” and a Co-PI on the project “Genetic relationships between breast and ovarian cancer” that is funded by the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. She is also a past recipient of a DF/HCC Ovarian Cancer SPORE Developmental Grant entitled “Genetic Fingerprinting of Ovarian Cancer.”
Dr. Matulonis serves on the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Ovarian Cancer Recommendation and Guideline Committee for both ovarian cancer and for the treatment of anemia, the Gynecologic Oncology Group Quality of Life Committee, a member of The Cancer Genome Atlas Project (TCGA) Endometrial Analysis Working Group, and is Medical Director and Board Member for the non-profit organization Ovations for the Cure. She is a recipient of the Dennis Thompson Compassionate Care Scholar award, the Lee Nadler “Extra Mile” Award, and was named one of Boston’s Best Physicians in Medical Oncology by Boston Magazine numerous times. She serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
After receiving her MD from Albany Medical College, she completed an internship and residency at the University of Pittsburgh, followed by a medical oncology fellowship at Dana-Farber.
- Partners in Excellence Award, Partners Health Care, 2010
- "Boston Magazine" Best Doctors, 2009
- Lee Nadler "Extra Mile" Award, 2009
- Dennis Thompson Compassionate Care Scholar, Brigham and Women's Hospital, 2000
- Partners in Excellence Award, Partners Health Care, 2000
ResearchClinical Trials in Gynecologic Malignancies
The Medical Gynecologic Oncology Program serves as the infrastructure for clinical and translational research at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
Our research involves testing novel drugs and biologics in newly diagnosed as well as recurrent gynecologic tumors: ovarian, endometrial, cervical, vaginal, and vulvar cancers. A list of ongoing clinical trials is available via our website.
Our integrated team of medical oncologists, gynecologic oncology surgeons, radiation oncologists, gynecologic oncology pathologists, clinical research team, and basic science researchers is immersed in a number of translational projects.
Examples of ongoing projects in 2010 include the expression profiling and genotyping of ovarian cancer, the study of circulating tumor cells in ovarian cancer, investigation of HER3 expression and signalling and therapeutic potential of HER3, and the study of the PI3 kinase pathway in endometrial cancer.
- Overexpression of elafin in ovarian carcinoma is driven by genomic gains and activation of the nuclear factor kappaB pathway and is associated with poor overall survival. Clauss A, Ng V, Liu J, Piao H, Russo M, Vena N, Sheng Q, Hirsch MS, Bonome T, Matulonis U, Ligon AH, Birrer MJ, Drapkin R.Neoplasia. 2010 Feb;12(2):161-72.
- Rapid Development of Hypertension and Proteinuria with Cediranib, an Oral Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Receptor Inhibitor. Robinson ES, Matulonis UA, Ivy P, Berlin ST, Tyburski K, Penson RT, Humphreys BD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010 Jan 7.
- Whole-genome gene expression profiling of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue samples. April C, Klotzle B, Royce T, Wickham-Garcia E, Boyaniwsky T, Izzo J, Cox D, Jones W, Rubio R, Holton K, Matulonis U, Quackenbush J, Fan JB. PLoS One. 2009 Dec 3;4(12):e8162.
- Review: erythropoiesis-stimulating agents increase mortality in patients with cancer. Matulonis U. Evid Based Med. 2009 Dec;14(6):182.
- Phase II trial of GM-CSF in women with asymptomatic recurrent mllerian tumors. Roche MR, Rudd PJ, Krasner CN, Matulonis UA, Berlin ST, Lee H, Silver M, Tran CD, Seiden MV, Penson RT. Gynecol Oncol. 2010 Feb;116(2):168-72. Epub 2009 Nov 18.
- Phase II study of carboplatin, paclitaxel, and bevacizumab with maintenance bevacizumab as first-line chemotherapy for advanced mullerian tumors. Penson RT, Dizon DS, Cannistra SA, Roche MR, Krasner CN, Berlin ST, Horowitz NS, Disilvestro PA, Matulonis UA, Lee H, King MA, Campos SM. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Jan 1;28(1):154-9. Epub 2009 Nov 16
- Clinical Activity of Gemcitabine Plus Pertuzumab in Platinum-Resistant Ovarian Cancer, Fallopian Tube Cancer, or Primary Peritoneal Cancer. Makhija S, Amler LC, Glenn D, Ueland FR, Gold MA, Dizon DS, Paton V, Lin CY, Januario T, Ng K, Strauss A, Kelsey S, Sliwkowski MX, Matulonis U. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Feb 1.
- Cediranib, an oral inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor kinases, is an active drug in recurrent epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal cancer. Matulonis UA, Berlin S, Ivy P, Tyburski K, Krasner C, Zarwan C, Berkenblit A, Campos S, Horowitz N, Cannistra SA, Lee H, Lee J, Roche M, Hill M, Whalen C, Sullivan L, Tran C, Humphreys BD, Penson RT. J Clin Oncol. 2009 Nov 20;27(33):5601-6. Epub 2009 Oct 13
- Prognosis and hormone receptor status in older and younger patients with advanced-stage papillary serous ovarian carcinoma. Liu JF, Hirsch MS, Lee H, Matulonis UA. Gynecol Oncol. 2009 Dec;115(3):401-6. Epub 2009 Sep 30.
- ACP Journal Club. Review: Erythropoiesis-stimulating agents increase mortality in patients with cancer. Matulonis U. Ann Intern Med. 2009 Sep 15;151(6):JC3-7.
- Acupuncture for chemotherapy-induced neutropenia in patients with gynecologic malignancies: a pilot randomized, sham-controlled clinical trial. Lu W, Matulonis UA, Doherty-Gilman A, Lee H, Dean-Clower E, Rosulek A, Gibson C, Goodman A, Davis RB, Buring JE, Wayne PM, Rosenthal DS, Penson RT. J Altern Complement Med. 2009 Jul;15(7):745-53.
- Comparison of the quality of life of early and advanced stage ovarian cancer survivors. Mirabeau-Beale KL, Kornblith AB, Penson RT, Lee H, Goodman A, Campos SM, Duska L, Pereira L, Bryan J, Matulonis UA. Gynecol Oncol. 2009 Aug;114(2):353-9. Epub 2009 May 28.
- Weir BA, Woo MS, Getz G, Perner S, Ding L, Beroukhim R, Lin WM, Province MA, Kraja A, Johnson LA, Shah K, Sato M, Thomas RK, Barletta JA, Borecki IB, Broderick S, Chang AC, Chiang DY, Chirieac LR, Cho J, Fujii Y, Gazdar AF, Giordano T, Greulich H, Hanna M, Johnson BE, Kris MG, Lash A, Lin L, Lindeman N, Mardis ER, McPherson JD, Minna JD, Morgan MB, Nadel M, Orringer MB, Osborne JR, Ozenberger B, Ramos AH, Robinson J, Roth JA, Rusch V, Sasaki H, Shepherd F, Sougnez C, Spitz MR, Tsao MS, Twomey D, Verhaak RG, Weinstock GM, Wheeler DA, Winckler W, Yoshizawa A, Yu S, Zakowski MF, Zhang Q, Beer DG, Wistuba II, Watson MA, Garraway LA, Ladanyi M, Travis WD, Pao W, Rubin MA, Gabriel SB, Gibbs RA, Varmus HE, Wilson RK, Lander ES, Meyerson M. Characterizing the cancer genome in lung adenocarcinoma. Nature. 2007 Dec 6;450(7171):893-8.
- Phase II prospective study of paclitaxel and carboplatin in older patients with newly diagnosed Mllerian tumors. Matulonis UA, Krag KJ, Krasner CN, Atkinson T, Horowitz NS, Lee H, Penson RT. Gynecol Oncol. 2009 Feb;112(2):394-9. Epub 2008 Dec 5.
- Liu, Joyce, MD