Geoffrey R. Oxnard, MD
Office phone: 617-632-6049
Preferred contact method: office phone
View Physician Profile
Acquired resistance to erlotinib, Genotype-defined subsets of lung cancer, Familial lung cancer syndromes
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
I am a thoracic oncologist with two primary areas of research. Through collaborations with molecular pathologists and laboratory researchers, I am interested in identifying subpopulations of lung cancer with unique clinical and molecular characteristics. For example, we have recently identified that lung cancer patients with T790M-mediated acquired resistance to erlotinib (Tarceva) have a favorable outcome, likely indicating a need for a unique therapeutic strategy.
Additionally, I perform research with colleagues in radiology and medical physics to explore better ways of analyzing response and progression in clinical trials and correlative research. In a recent analysis, we showed that volumetric CT measurement after only 3 weeks of gefitinib is able to accurately distinguish which lung cancers harbor sensitizing mutations. Multiple analyses of industry and cooperative group imaging data are ongoing through collaborations with Lawrence Schwartz, Chair of Radiology, Columbia University.
- Young Investigator Award, ASCO Cancer Foundation, 2010; Merit Award, ASCO Annual Meeting, 2010, 2010
- Oxnard GR, Armato SG 3rd, Kindler HL: Modeling of mesothelioma growth demonstrates weaknesses of current response criteria. Lung Cancer 2006:52:141-8.
- Oxnard GR, Fidias P, Muzikansy A, Sequist LV: Non-small cell lung cancer in octogenarians: treatment practices and preferences. Journal of Thoracic Oncology 2007:2:1029-35.
- Oxnard GR, Milosh Zinkus T, Bazari H, Wolf M: Integrating research training into residency: Tools of human investigation. Academic Medicine 2009:84:1295-1300.
- Oxnard GR, Arcila ME, Sima CS, Riely GJ, Chmielecki J, Kris MG, Pao W, Ladanyi M, Miller VA: Acquired resistance to EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors in EGFR mutant lung cancer: Distinct natural history of patients with tumors harboring the T790M mutation. Clinical Cancer Research 2010. (in press)
- Arcila ME, Oxnard GR, Nafa K, Riely GJ, Solomon SB, Zakowski MF, Kris MG, Pao W, Miller VA, Ladanyi M: Rebiopsy of lung cancer patients with acquired resistance to EGFR inhibitors and enhanced detection of the T790M mutation using a locked nucleic acid-based assay. Clinical Cancer Research 2010. (in press)
- Oxnard GR, Miller VA: The use of erlotinib or gefitinib as initial therapy in the treatment of advanced NSCLC. Oncology 2010:24:392-9.
- Zhao BZ*, Oxnard GR*, Moskowitz CS, Kris MG, Pao W, Guo P, Rusch VM, Ladanyi M, Rizvi NA, Schwartz LH: A pilot study of volume measurement as a method of tumor response evaluation to aid biomarker development. Clinical Cancer Research 2010:16:4647-53. (*Co-first authors)