Geoffrey R. Oxnard, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Office phone: 617-632-6049
Preferred contact method: office phone
View Physician Profile
Lung cancer genotyping and rare genotypes, Acquired resistance to EGFR inhibitors, Liquid biopsies
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
I am a medical oncologist specializing in the treatment of patients with non-small cell lung cancer. My research focuses on strategies for improved understanding and treatment of lung cancer. I have several specific areas of research focus, which include:
- Acquired resistance to targeted therapies (EGFR, ALK, etc) in lung cancer
- Targeted therapies and clinical trial design for rare lung cancer genotypes
- The biology of lung cancer diagnosed at a young age (under the age of 50)
- Familial lung cancer in non-smokers
- Noninvasive lung cancer genotyping through analysis of free floating DNA in the blood
- Ascelpios Award, Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, 2014
- Ellen and Stephen Fine Teaching Award, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, 2013
- Career Development Award, Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO, 2012
- Young Investigator Award, ASCO Cancer Foundation, 2010; Merit Award, ASCO Annual Meeting, 2010, 2010
- Oxnard GR, Armato SG 3rd, Kindler HL: Modeling of mesothelioma growth demonstrates weaknesses of current response criteria. Lung Cancer 2006:52:141-8.
- Oxnard GR, Fidias P, Muzikansy A, Sequist LV: Non-small cell lung cancer in octogenarians: treatment practices and preferences. Journal of Thoracic Oncology 2007:2:1029-35.
- Oxnard GR, Milosh Zinkus T, Bazari H, Wolf M: Integrating research training into residency: Tools of human investigation. Academic Medicine 2009:84:1295-1300.
- Oxnard GR, Arcila ME, Sima CS, Riely GJ, Chmielecki J, Kris MG, Pao W, Ladanyi M, Miller VA: Acquired resistance to EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors in EGFR mutant lung cancer: Distinct natural history of patients with tumors harboring the T790M mutation. Clinical Cancer Research 2010. (in press)
- Arcila ME, Oxnard GR, Nafa K, Riely GJ, Solomon SB, Zakowski MF, Kris MG, Pao W, Miller VA, Ladanyi M: Rebiopsy of lung cancer patients with acquired resistance to EGFR inhibitors and enhanced detection of the T790M mutation using a locked nucleic acid-based assay. Clinical Cancer Research 2010. (in press)
- Oxnard GR, Miller VA: The use of erlotinib or gefitinib as initial therapy in the treatment of advanced NSCLC. Oncology 2010:24:392-9.
- Zhao BZ*, Oxnard GR*, Moskowitz CS, Kris MG, Pao W, Guo P, Rusch VM, Ladanyi M, Rizvi NA, Schwartz LH: A pilot study of volume measurement as a method of tumor response evaluation to aid biomarker development. Clinical Cancer Research 2010:16:4647-53. (*Co-first authors)
- Oxnard GR, Arcila ME, Sima CS, Riely GJ, Chmielecki J, Kris MG, Pao W, Ladanyi M, Miller VA. Acquired resistance to EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors in EGFR mutant lung cancer: Distinct natural history of patients with tumors harboring the T790M mutation. Clin Cancer Res 2011; 17:1616-22.
- Oxnard GR, Zhao BZ, Sima CS, Ginsberg MS, James LP, Lefkowitz RA, Guo P, Kris MG, Schwartz LH, Riely GJ. Variability of lung tumor measurements on computed tomography (CT) scans taken within 15 minutes. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29:3114-9.
- Oxnard GR, Janjigian YY, Arcila ME, Sima CS, Kass SL, Riely GJ, Pao W, Kris MG, Ladanyi M, Azzoli CG, Miller VA. Maintained sensitivity to EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors in EGFR-mutant lung cancer recurring after adjuvant erlotinib or gefitinib. Clin Cancer Res 2011; 17:6322-8.
- He M, Capelletti M, Nafa K, Yun CH, Arcila ME, Miller VA, Ginsberg MS, Zhao B, Kris MG, Eck MJ, Jänne PA, Ladanyi M, Oxnard GR. EGFR exon 19 insertions: A new family of sensitizing EGFR mutations in lung adenocarcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 2012; 18:1790-7.
- Oxnard GR, Miller VA, Robson ME, Azzoli CG, Pao W, Ladanyi M, Arcila ME. Screening for germline EGFR T790M mutations through lung cancer genotyping. J Thorac Oncol 2012; 7:1049-52.
- Oxnard GR, Lo P, Nishino M, Dahlberg S, Lindeman NI, Butaney M, Jackman DM, Johnson BE, Jänne PA. Natural history and molecular characteristics of lung cancers harboring EGFR exon 20 insertions. J Thorac Oncol 2013; 8:179-84.
- Oxnard GR, Binder A, Janne PA. New targetable oncogenes in non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31:1097-104.
- Oxnard GR, Paweletz CP, Kuang Y, Mach SL, O’Connell A, Messineo MM, Luke JJ, Butaney M, Kirschmeier P, Jackman DM, Jänne PA. Noninvasive detection of response and resistance in EGFR-mutant lung cancer using quantitative next-generation genotyping of cell-free plasma DNA. Clin Cancer Res 2014; 20:1698-705.
- Oxnard GR, Nguyen KH, Costa DB. Germline mutations in driver oncogenes and inherited lung cancer risk independent of smoking history. J Natl Cancer Inst 2014; 1:361.
- Lo PC, Dahlberg SE, Nishino M, Johnson BE, Sequist LV, Jackman DM, Janne PA, Oxnard GR. Delay of treatment change following objective progression on first-line erlotinib in EGFR-mutant lung cancer. Cancer 2015; Epub ahead of print.
- Thress KS, Paweletz CP, Felip E, Cho BC, Stetson D, Dougherty B, Lai Z, Markovets A, Vivancos A, Kuang Y, Ercan D, Matthews SE, Cantarini M, Barrett JC, Jänne PA, Oxnard GR. Acquired EGFR C797S mutation mediates resistance to AZD9291 in non-small cell lung cancer harboring EGFR T790M. Nature Medicine 2015; 21:560-2.
- Gao X, Sholl LM, Nishino M, Heng J, Jänne PA, Oxnard GR. Brief report: Clinical implications of variant ALK FISH rearrangement patterns. J Thorac Oncol 2015.
- Paweletz CP, Sacher AG, Raymond CK, Alden RS, O’Connell A, Mach SL, Kuang Y, Gandhi L, Kirschmeier P, English JM, Lim LP, Jänne PA, Oxnard GR. Bias-corrected targeted next-generation sequencing for rapid, multiplexed detection of actionable alterations in cell-free DNA from advanced lung cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res 2015.